Pendulums are a divination tool. Like the tarot or numerology, the pendulum works as a channel through which energy can flow. Using divination tools supports us when reaching into the subtle world for answers to questions of a spiritual or hidden nature. Many say that these sacred tools act like a mirror to our inner self, a bridge from the material world to other realms offering a means to bypassing the ego by projecting our intuitive knowing directly onto an object or person in the material plane.
Pendulums, like Kinesiology, rely on muscle communication, ie: twitches and spasms, to receive and deliver messages. When we ask a question our body reacts – yes, our body is much more intelligent then we give it credit for, there is so much going on beneath the surface that the brain does not translates into conscious awareness. There is also a lot going on in our mind that we might, or might not be aware of.
For these very reasons it is important to keep a clear and objective mind, and an open and accepting heart when doing this work. We must allow the energy to work through us. If we are not in tune with our current state; thoughts, feelings, mood, we may unintentionally influence the outcome of a question.
Learning to ask questions without expectations, and learning to stay objective takes some work, too often, even subconsciously, we want a certain outcome so much that we will it into the pendulums response. For this reason it’s important to understand ourselves; mind, body, soul, ego, shadows and all.
This brings us to some of the benefits of working with pendulums, those being that the practice fine tunes our intuition and insight, it teaches us to differentiate between our emotional response, the mind’s response, the subconscious’s response, or the response from our higher self, guides, angels, etc. If we persist we can even learn to get beyond our subconscious blocks and insecurities, and grow into the ideal versions of ourselves.
Working with this new energy form takes practice, a whole lot of patience, and some willingness to face ourselves. Being open minded, self aware, and honest about our short comings and biases is no easy feat, especially when considering the patterns we’ve picked up on our earth journey, and the ways we have learned to navigate through life.
So rather then take our efforts too seriously and encountering frustrations from false expectations that can lead to self doubt, slowing down of progress, or giving up completely, its best to approach this in a fun and lighthearted way. Consider it a date with the different tools that have been passed down to us from ancient times, no expectations, just getting acquainted.
If nothing else it really is just an opportunity to surround ourselves with the energy of our ancestors, and be in the presence of their wisdom, and wonder of their mystery powers.
Once you get the hang of them, pendulums are a simple and great place to start the exploration into the subtle world. They are a great way of getting quick answers, fine tuning our intuitive powers, and coming to the understanding that a greater power exists within and around us that we can all work with!
Quick Instructions for getting started
1. After purchasing your pendulum make sure to cleanse it with some salt and water so that any energy it came in contact with before yours can be released. It’s best to use a pure salt like rock or sea salt if possible.
2. Clear you mind and space with some deep and slow breathing. Sit in a comfortable pose, close your eyes and focus on your breath for a while, take as long as you need to empty and settle your mind.
3. Once your mind is settled and you’re tuned into the present recite a prayer of protection; envisioning a white light around your aura, or a circle of light around the perimeter of the space your working in.
4. Set your intention – this programs your pendulum to work in alignment with your desired outcome. Consider what you would like your pendulum to guide you through, ie: ‘I intend to get in touch with my true nature, and explore my inner life’.
5. Set the direction of the pendulum swings. For basic pendulum work, phrase your questions in a way that gives simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answers, ie: ‘Should I sign up for this yoga workshop?’. With a steady hand hold the pendulum still between the thumb and index finger and ask it ‘which direction is yes’, let it swing for a while, until the direction is clear, then ask it ‘which direction is no’ let it swing into its new direction.
6. If you’d like to get more complex with your questions you can program your pendulum to swing in which ever direction you like, i.e, ask it to ‘swing in circles for yes’, and ‘swing in lines for no’. You can make it as simple or as complex as you like. You can program it to go clockwise for yes and anti-clockwise for no. North to south for ‘waiting on an answer’, east to west for ‘answer not available’.
7. Between each question stabilize your pendulum. Once it is in a state of rest it’s time to ask the next question.
8. Keep it visual, make yourself a chart or wheel so your right brain and subconscious can get involved. The right brain works in pictures, sounds, and movement. If it has a visual aid it can soak up the questions and respond in it’s own language. Decorate your charts and make them an expression of yourself.
9. Once you’ve established the direction start by asking it simple questions in yes / no answer. But ask them in statement form rather then question, i.e. My name is….., I live at the following address…. My hair is so and so color…
10. Spend some time practicing with some true and false ‘yes’/’no’ answers to test out your pendulum and to smooth out any kinks, i.e; ‘My name is (insert true name)’, and let the pendulum swing , then ask, ‘My name is (insert false name)”, wait to see which way the pendulum swings. It might take some time to get the calibration right.
11. Be patient, you and your pendulum are just starting to get to know each other, give yourself the needed time to play with the calibration and getting a feeling for your new divination toy
There are some great online resources and articles for learning to use pendulums, check out How to Use a Pendulum at OdysseyOfTheSoul.org they go into great detail about how to differentiate between a response from the subconscious, the higher self, the spirit world, and how to accurately ask questions and clarify responses.
There are also more advance pendulum charts you can use if you would like to take your practice to the next level. They are easy to find online and easy enough to make. Enjoy the journey.